Spaghetti Squash Boats
Recipe by Exploring Healthy Foods.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh corn
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 2 tbsp OLiV Chipotle Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 avocado, pitted and sliced
Juice from 1 lime
2 tbsp chopped basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut spaghetti squash length wise and remove and discard seeds. Place face up on baking sheet. Lightly coat entire spaghetti squash with a dime size amount of olive oil. Place in oven for 55 minutes.
In the meantime, sauté olive oil, onion and garlic until fragrant (about 5 minutes). Then add bell peppers and mushrooms and sauté for 10 minutes or until they have softened. Add black beans, corn, spinach, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and sauté for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Once spaghetti squash has cooked, remove from oven and with a fork lightly scrap the spaghetti squash off the sides. This will create the spaghetti like "noodles". Add the spaghetti squash noddles to the sautéed vegetables and then add the Chipotle infused extra virgin olive oil and mix.
Add ingredients back into the spaghetti squash "bowl" or eat out of a regular bowl. Top with avocado, lime juice and basil. Best served warm.Enjoy!
I have been pre-cooking ground beef for a long time – it is just so much easier to do it once and be done with if for a while. Sometimes I cook a batch that is just plain ground beef – and then I’ll do another batch and add green peppers and onions. I also store mine in freezer zip lock bags due to the storage issue – much easier to store flat.